Wednesday, February 1, 2012

What was it that you said?

The following post is some words that I found in the back of a drawer today, which I wrote during a creative writing moment in the middle of the woods a few years ago. Funny that it kind of reflected a lot of things that I felt about today.


I keep hearing voices. Noises big and small, here and there. Some are human, some are beast, or fowl. Some are divine, and some are equine. Some are present, some are past. Some are sweet, caring, honest. Some are strong- fierce, even.

I hear some voices and some words that I understand. I make some meaning out of most of them. My brain works a mile a minute to make sense of them. Some voices are annoying, crackling nonsense. Are they really trying to communicate? Some voices seem to never stop. They go on and on, saying the same thing over and over. But there are some voices that I love, I hang on to every word they say. There are some that are resonating with me on the same frequency, and I like that. Like putting my head between the bowls, sometimes the sound went in one ear and out the other. Sometimes the vibrations met in my brain and changed something.

There are voices that I don’t understand. I may like them the best. Sounds of all kinds merging together, creating a music, or a chaotic chorus- but it doesn’t matter. It means something, and because I don’t understand it, it makes it all the more enchanting. Maybe it’s because no-one understands it. Communications without words, without thoughts or intentions or meanings.

When so many things have so much to say, it’s hard to know what to listen to. But I do know, most of the time. My voice tells me what I need and don’t, what to take and leave. And I can hear my voice in others, the good, the bad, the ugly. Like all noise is a huge echo, bouncing back and forth and back and forth.

I can’t always say what I want or what I mean. But maybe it doesn't matter, it’s already been said. Maybe I can find the silence in the sounds, meaning in the chaotic chorus, peace in the nonsense, wisdom in the pauses.

What was it that you said?

1 comment:

  1. Meaning is relative to the person in need at the time.

    ReplyDelete